It’s funny how much of an impact just one day can have. I woke up this morning feeling quite under the weather – a week of sickness and negative thoughts having taken its toll – yet now, as I’m about to go to sleep, I’m feeling lighter than I have in days!
- I had some (delicious!) homemade tomato soup for brunch that J’s mother had left in the fridge. There’s something infinitely satisfying about good food – especially when back home the only ‘soup’ you ever eat starts out as powder.
- J’s (sort of) sister-in-law visited early in the afternoon to leave her dog with us to “babysit”. As she left, I spontaneously said goodbye in Swedish and didn’t feel all that self conscious about it. Yay!
- We had a nacho dish for dinner which was actually the first thing I ever ate when I visited last year – whilst I didn’t like it so much back then, this time round it appeared to have grown on me. It didn’t seem so alien anymore.
- Whilst we were eating and J’s family were sat around me at the table, I realised I was becoming familiar with their speech patterns and could actually pick up what was being said. Whilst I wouldn’t say I always “understand”, I’m definitely no longer as removed from conversations as I would’ve been last summer.
- After dinner, I spent a few hours with J and his mother playing Trival Persuit (på svenska). Even though I still needed help with translating questions, it was a lot of fun and it felt good to spend some time with them both without feeling as though I had to force conversation (his mother is a little reluctant to speak English, just as I am with Swedish).
Idag var en mycket bra dag! 🙂