After digging a little deeper into the application process for moving to Sweden, I’ve come to the conclusion that I am INCREDIBLY confused.ms_6085th

My plan thus far had always been to wait a few years before going ahead with any of this, but with my sudden realisation that I may have made a bad choice regarding university here in England and my ever growing desire to close the gap in my long distance relationship, I’m starting to feel more than a little impatient! Once I finish college this summer, I have a few choices:

  1. Find a job (any job!) here at home to gain experience and tide myself over for the next few years until J and I are a little older
  2. Take a gap year where I hop back and forth between England and Sweden whenever J has time off to see me and try to figure things out (though personally I see little point in this*)
  3. Take the risk and apply to get a residence permit / personnummer in Sweden so I can move to J and his family as soon as possible

My reasoning behind choice 3? I really want to make some progress with my life – and until I decide to up sticks and move, I’ll be stuck playing a waiting game. However, the whole process of even gaining temporary residence seems to be fraught with obstacles for somebody like me:

  • As J won’t be 18 until next year, I am currently unable to apply on the grounds of our plans to eventually marry or even just to cohabit.
  • And right now I wouldn’t really be cohabiting with him, as it is his parents whom he lives with that have offered me a place to stay. However, I am unsure as to whether this sort of living situation would be accepted.
  • I also can’t apply on the grounds of study or work, as I don’t have a place at a Swedish uni, nor have I been offered a job.

Due to this, I’m a little unsure of my chances of any application I make being accepted. As a young and likely somewhat naive British girl with little money and pretty average grades, what do I really have to offer? The only true, solid thing that I have is my determination to learn Swedish and eventually find work so I can live happily with my partner. This is problematic, as in order to move to Sweden and start an SFI course in preparation for trying to find work in the future, I would first need to receive my personnummer. Until I have this, I will be quite restricted in what I can do and my being in Sweden for any extended period of time will have no real purpose*.

One possibility would be to wait another year or so before applying to make myself a little more “presentable”, but since the processing time for applications seems to be around 11-15 months right now that would likely mean an especially long wait…

Advice please? I’m feeling very lost right now!


9 thoughts on “Migrationsverket

  1. Moving abroad right after finishing secondary education is a huge step, but I did it and it was the best decision I ever made. I know it can go terribly wrong, but it can also be amazing! I considered moving to Sweden for a while but ended up not going because the course I wanted to do was cancelled. What I’m mildly cofused about is why you seem to have so much administration stuff to do – shouldn’t moving be really easy considering both Britain and Sweden are in the EU? When I moved from Germany do Britain I had to do zilch apart from register in the new city. Feel free to email me if you want to talk more about moving countries at a young age 🙂 x

    • Hi there! If I’m honest, administrative stuff has never really been my forte so I could be completely overestimating the amount of work I’ll have to do. I find the whole process very confusing and scary! However, I’m glad to hear moving abroad at a young age went so well for you – it makes a change from all the horror stories I’ve come across these past few weeks 🙂
      (And as for emailing you, thank you for the offer! I’ll get in touch if I have any questions)

  2. I would wait until he is 18. I think being English you can move to Sweden as a person seeking a job and can get a personnummer if you get a job within like 6 months – but it is really hard to find work. The absolute easiest method would be to study in Sweden but that is so expensive(unless if would be free for you. It isn’t for me, a Canadian(well, since I am on the sambo visa it is free for me now).

    Visit each other as often as possible, try to get experience in work, save up money and then as soon as he turns 18, apply for a sambo visa(definitely do that, because if you do the “right of residence” route and you end up staying in sweden with your guy and wanting to get dual citizenship, you will have to wait like 5/6 years, rather than the 3 with a sambo visa.)

    I dont think living with his parents will be held against you. I read a blog of a girl who did that(she just turned 18 when they applied and her boyfriend was in his late 20s), but on the application under “future plans” you should say you plan to live together as soon as you can get an apartment.

    • May I ask what a sambo visa is? Is it similar to a normal visa? Because if so I think that as a citizen of the EU I don’t really need to have any kind of visa to stay in Sweden due to the whole “right to roam” thing. I could be misinterpreting though! I’ve read and re-read migrationsverkets application process and rules so many times yet I’m still so confused about the whole thing…

      Thank you for your comment! 🙂

      • As a European you have two choices. You can get a right of residence(that is not a residence permit, since you don’t really need that as a European. BUT THEN you have to have something like 15,000 pounds in your bank account and you have to have your health care insurance still from the UK etc. This is the option where after 3 months you go to an office here in Sweden and say “hi, I am English and have been here 3 months” and they register you as living in Sweden, not England. I think in this case it is much harder to get a personnummer, take Swedish classes for free etc. And as already mentioned if you ever did want to get Swedish citizenship, you would wait 5 years to get it and you’d have more stipulations to getting it.

        If you look here: http://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Private-individuals/For-EU-citizens/Residence-permit-for-EU-citizens.html
        you will see that you can get the visa that everyone who isn’t in the EU has to apply for to live with their Swedish significant other. You will get a residence permit which means you get all the rights of a Swedish citizen, the only difference is that you cannot vote. And you have the advantage, because unlike us, you move to Sweden and apply for this visa(we have to do it online and wait in our own countries and it takes quite a while) there, and then do your waiting for a decision in Sweden.

        No problem! Hope this helps.

  3. hey, just found your blog! I’m a Dutchie who moved to Sweden in December. About the amount of work: yes, it’s a lot (compared to moving to another EU country than Sweden). I thought it would be easy – I thought: I’m from the EU, married to a Swede, he can provide for me since he works full time and we have a place to stay. No problem, right? Well, I filled out a pile of forms and the estimated total waiting time is 15 months. Really? Yes, really. 2 down, 13 to go.
    Which means I can’t do SFI and can’t get my drivers license (don’t have one yet – really annoying) etc etc. I’m learning Swedish at home now but I was really looking forward to do SFI cause it’s also a way to meet people.
    Finding a job so that I can get my personnummer through that doesn’t seem to be an option either, not so many jobs for non-Swedish-speaking-people out her ein the forest of Småland.
    Oh well…at least I get to live with my husband 🙂

    • You sound like you’re in a similar situation now to what I’d be in if I went ahead and moved over there! I hope the next few months pass quickly for you so you can begin to make some progress in your new life 🙂

      The main thing I’m worried about is what I would do with my time whilst waiting for a personnummer – until I can get into an SFI course it’ll basically be like an extended holiday and I’m not sure what I’d do with myself… hopefully I’ll figure something out!

  4. I would advise emailing/phoning or visiting Migrationsverket once you are in Sweden. You can also get in touch with Skatteverket and they could give you a samordningsnummer, which is like a temporary personnummer.

    I did not have a personnummer while I was working as a teaching assistant (British Council so not employed by the Swedish school) but I got in touch with the local college and asked if I could attend one day a week as a guest student so that could be an option Ruth? Good luck, I hope you are enjoying living in Sweden 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s